Are you obsessed with hand lettering? It’s totally possible to teach yourself hand lettering by reading and watching online tutorials and classes. I’ve put together some of my favourite online resources that I hope you will find as helpful as it was for me.
This post contains affiliate links. See my full disclosure.
Below are 12 free hand lettering tutorials. Click the links below this image to learn more.
1. How to create fake calligraphy
2. DIY starry night hand lettering tutorial
3. How to mix and match letters in your hand lettering
4. How to create hand-drawn type designs from start to finish
5. How to add shadows and highlights to your lettering
6. DIY Hand Lettering
7. How to Create Hand Lettering Artwork on Paper
8. Applying pressure in brush calligraphy
9. How to start hand lettering
10. Transitioning thin to thick strokes
11. How to add simple swirls to your lettering
12. Favourite hand lettering supplies
Extra: Free crash course in hand lettering ~ by Tim Brown
Online Lettering Classes
While these free tutorials are great, it’s so helpful to watch a whole course developed with beginners in mind where you’ll learn the ins and outs of hand lettering. Below are hand lettering classes that you can take online. Click on the links below the image to read more.
1. The Art of Lettering – Drawing Scripts by Hand ~ by Neil Tasker, Lettering Artist (on Skillshare)
2. The First Steps of Hand-Lettering ~ by Mary Kate McDevitt (on Skillshare)
3. Layouts for Lettering: Hierarchy, Composition, and Type Systems ~ by Jon Contino (on Skillshare)
4. Hand-Lettering Basics ~ by Brit + Co (on Skillshare)
5. I Still Love Calligraphy ~ by Melissa Esplin
6. Learn Lettering ~ by Sean McCabe
7. Hand Lettering Power Course ~ by How Design University
8. 30 Days to Better Hand Lettering ~ by Made Vibrant
9. Fauxlligraphy: creating fake calligraphy ~ by Andrea Campos (on Skillshare)
10. Bounce lettering: adding character to your lettering ~ by Teela Cunningham (on Skillshare)
11. Let’s start lettering: 4 hours of online video, worksheets and tricks ~ by Amanda Arneill
12. Hand lettering 101 – using pencil and paper ~ by Annica Lydenberg (on Creative Live)
If you liked this post, you might also like my post about brush lettering tutorials and fonts. Click the image below to read more.
Follow my hand lettering Pinterest board to discover new lettering tutorials and inspiration!